In the run-up to the European & Local elections, the Irish Senior Citizens Parliament is organising a series of meetings around the country.
The meetings’ topics will centre around three main themes all of which are of paramount importance to Older People:
- Elder Abuse
- Communicating Europe & the European Elections
- Local Elections
The meetings will be in the following locations:
- North West Constituency: There are two meetings, one inthe Salthill Hotel, Galway on 13th May 2009 at 1.30pm. The other is in the Plougastel Court Centre, Westport on 14thMay 2009 at 11.30am.
- South Constituency: There are three meetings, one in the Best Western Pery’s Hotel, Limerick on 19th May 2009. There were 2 others in Cork on May 11.
- East Constituency: Meeting in Dundalk on 20th May 2009 in the Carroll Mead Hall at 2.00pm.
- Dublin Constituency: There are two meetings in Dublin on 21st May 2009, a morning meeting at 11.30am and an afternoon meeting at 2.oopm. Both will be in the European Parliament Office, Molesworth Street
We will produce an Election Manifesto which will be sent to all candidates and Political Parties outlining the needs of Older People.
It is important at this critical time for Older People that we have a large turnout and, therefore, we ask that you would encourage your friends to come along.
Please notify dorlores@regarding the EU meeting/s you would like to attend.
At each meeting time will be allocated for Local Election candidates standing in Galway City, Westport, Dundalk and Limerick City Electoral Areas.
Cork Elder Abuse workshop
There were 20 members of the division present at the Cork workshop. What was interesting to note about this meeting was that for many of the Older People present they were unfamiliar with the term elder abuse and were very interested in the idea. The discussion included a run through of what was considered Elder Abuse and members of the group felt very enthused that this was an issue they wanted to create awareness on, as a result they made a note to include a section in their newsletter on this topic.
An information pack was distributed to the group by the senior case social worker present. This information included the contact information for the Elder Abuse social workers in the area along with information on how to spot the signs of Elder Abuse.